- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Qantas operates daily direct flights from Sydney, Perth, and Cairns, and Virgin Australia flies direct from Sydney to Ayers Rock Airport, which is 5 km (3 mi) north of the resort complex. Passengers from other capital cities fly to Alice Springs to connect with flights to Ayers Rock Airport. Qantas flies daily 40-minute flights from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock.
AAT Kings runs a complimentary shuttle bus between the airport and Yulara, which meets every flight. If you have reservations at the resort, representatives wait outside the baggage-claim area of the airport to whisk you and other guests away on the 10-minute drive.
If you're driving from Alice Springs, it's a five-hour-plus 440-km (273-mi) trip to Ayers Rock Resort. The road is paved, but lacks a shoulder, and is one lane in each direction for the duration, making it challenging and risky to overtake the four-trailer-long road trains. The unscenic route often induces fatigue.
From the resort it's 19 km (12 mi) to Uluru or 53 km (33 mi) to Kata Tjuta. The road to Kata Tjuta is paved.
If you prefer to explore Uluru and Kata Tjuta on your own schedule, then renting your own car is a good idea; the only other ways to get to the national park are on group bus tours or by chauffeured taxi or coach. Avis, Hertz, and Thrifty-Territory Rent-a-Car all rent cars at Ayers Rock Resort. Arrange for your rental early, since cars are limited.
Automobile Association of N.T. (08/8956-2188; 13-1111 emergency road assistance. www.aant.com.au.)
N.T. Road Report (1800/246-199. www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/.)
Greyhound and AAT Kings coaches (which runs day and extended tours) make daily departures from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock.
AAT Kings (08/8956-2171 or 1300/228-546. www.aatkings.com.)
Greyhound Australia (08/8952-7888 or 1300/473-946. www.greyhound.com.au.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations