- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The best views of Uluru and Kata Tjuta are from the air. Light plane tours, with courtesy hotel pickup from Ayers Rock Resort hotels, include 40-minute flights over Ayers Rock and the Olgas, and day tours to Kings Canyon and a huge meteorite crater known as Gosses Bluff. Prices run from A$95 to A$695 per person; for options, contact Ayers Rock Scenic Flights. Helicopter flights are A$135 per person for 15 minutes over Ayers Rock, or $250 for 30 minutes over the Olgas and the rock.
Ayers Rock Helicopters (08/8956-2077. 08/8956-2060. www.helicoptergroup.com.)
Ayers Rock Scenic Flights (08/8956-2345. 08/8956-2060. www.ayersrockflights.com.)
Professional Helicopter Services (08/8956-2003. www.phs.com.au.)
Owned and operated by local Aboriginal people, Anangu Tours organizes trips through the Uluru and Kata Tjuta region. Tours, which leave from the Ayers Rock Resort, include the Aboriginal Uluru Tour (A$139 with breakfast), led by an Aboriginal guide; the Kuniya Sunset Tour (A$116); and the Anangu Cultural Pass, which combines the first two tours and Kata Tjuta over 24 hours (A$229). You can drive to the trailhead of the Liru Walk (A$69). Guides are Aborigines who work with interpreters. Aboriginal art aficionados can attend dot-painting workshops (A$87).
Anangu Tours (08/8950-3030. www.ananguwaai.com.au/anangu_tours/.)
A great way to get out in the open and see the sights is from the back of one of the desert's creatures. Uluru Camel Tours, a subsidiary of Anangu Tours, has sunrise and sunset tours that last for 2½ hours for A$199; tours leave from the Ayers Rock Resort.
Camels Australia. En route from Alice Springs you'll find Camels Australia. Owners Neil and Jayne Waters offer everything from quick jaunts to whole-day safaris. Phone beforehand for all rides; 72 hours' notice for day treks is required. It's A$25 for a half-hour ride and A$45 for a one-hour ride, and A$175 for a day trek with lunch. Take-away food and gifts are also available at the farm shop. Stuarts Well, Stuart Hwy., 90 km (56 mi) south of Alice Springs, Alice Springs, NT, 0872. 08/8956-0925. 08/8956-0909. www.camels-australia.com.au.
Uluru Camel Tours (08/8956-2444. ulurucameltours.com.au.)
SEIT Outback Australia (08/8956-3156. email@example.com. www.seitoutbackaustralia.com.au.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations