Big, vast, expansive, huge—whichever way you cut it, Western Australia and the Northern Territory are daunting. Western Australia sprawls across nearly 1 million square mi—3.6 times the size of Texas—while the Northern Territory adds another 520,000 square mi, together accounting for half of Australia's landmass, but just about 11% of the population.
This, in many respects, is the "real Australia" as you imagine it—remote, mostly uninhabited, the landscape ground down over millennia.
Getting around by road will absorb days, if not weeks, but fortunately air services can cut the travel times between the gems of this vast area—the Red Centre, the Top End, and the Kimberley, and Perth and Western Australia's South West—to hours not days.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations