Health and Safety
Health and Safety
If you are self-driving—especially in remote areas—make sure you have enough fuel, water, and food and carry a first-aid kit. Let others know where you are going and for how long. Going off bushwalking or hiking without adequate supplies, directions, and alone or without letting others know your plan is also risky and perhaps just stupid.
There are "critters" to avoid—snakes, crocodiles, and box jellyfish, for example. Mosquitoes can carry encephalitis, dengue fever, and Ross River fever, so cover up and use a good insect repellent; the worst times for mosquitoes are dawn and dusk.
Respect the Australian sun, especially in summer. Sunburn is a real danger if you don't do what the Australians are urged to do: slip, slap, slop—that is, slip on a hat, slap on sunglasses, and slop on sunscreen. On popular beaches around major cities and towns lifesavers (lifeguards) are usually on duty and put up flags to swim between, but generally most beaches are unguarded. Take extra care, especially where there are strong currents. Crocodiles are active in many of the Territory's waterways, so obey warning signs and check before swimming.
The emergency contact number for police, fire, and ambulance is 000. From a GSM mobile (cell) phone the number is 112.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations