Historic River Precinct
Historic River Precinct Review
A tour of the Historic River Precinct begins at the Port of Echuca office on Murray Esplanade, where you can purchase a ticket that gets you into several historic buildings. The Bridge Hotel was built by Henry Hopwood, ex-convict father of Echuca, who had the foresight to establish a punt, and then to build a bridge at this commercially strategic point on the river. The Star Hotel, built in the 1860s, has an underground bar and escape tunnel, which was used by after-hours drinkers in the 19th century to evade the police. The Historic Wharf displays the heavy-duty side of the river trade, including a warehouse, old railroad tracks, and riverboats. Among the vessels docked at the wharf is the PS Adelaide, the world's oldest operating wooden-hulled paddle steamer.
One-hour river excursions aboard the Adelaide (built in 1866), the historic Pevensey, Canberra, and Alexander Arbuthnot, and the Emmylou, a 19th-century style boat built in 1980-82 for a television series, are a refreshing treat at the end of a hot summer's day. The paddle wheelers depart regularly from 10 am to 4 pm; tickets are available from the port office or Bond Store on Murray Esplanade; a one-hour cruise on the PS Emmylou costs A$25.
- Website: www.echucapaddlesteamers.net.au, www.emmylou.com.au
- Location: Echuca
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations