Pfeiffer Wines Review
Pfeiffer Wines is another winery with a long history, the first vines having been planted on the bend of Sunday Creek, near Wahgunyah, in 1895. The Pfeiffers bought it in the 1980s and have continued the tradition of making exceptional fortified wines and varietal wines, including Chardonnay. It also has one of the few Australian plantings of gamay, the classic French grape used to make Beaujolais. At this small rustic winery you can pre-order (24 hours notice) spring/summer picnic baskets stuffed with crusty bread, smoke trout, marinated lamb fillets, chicken breast slices, kipler potato salad, cheese, fresh fruit, and a bottle of table wine, or autumn/winter hampers with treats such as soup, curry, and all the other trimmings for A$80 for two including plates and cutlery. Vegetarian baskets are A$72, and children's are A$12.50. Cheese platters are available any time. Winemaker Jen Pfeiffer makes an aperitif called Pfeiffer Seriously Pink, along with a Chardonnay-marsanne, Shiraz, Merlot, and fortifieds such as muscadelle and tawnies (which one can no longer call "ports").
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations