Wilsons Promontory National Park
Wilsons Promontory National Park Review
Once connected to Tasmania, this park is the southernmost point of mainland Australia. A granite peninsula of more than 123,000 acres, it is a haven for birdlife and native animals, with many kangaroos, koalas, and wombats spotted around Tidal River, the main camping and accommodation area in the south of the park. Mountains, fantastic granite boulders, beaches, wetlands, lakes, and plains make it a hiker's paradise, and many set off on the famous all-day inland trek to the windswept lighthouse. Active types can book a bed in one of the three restored lighthouse keepers' cottages (from A$83 to A$110.50 per person per bed depending on the cottage) or camp at Roaring Meg campsite (bring your own tent) at A$8 per person per night; would-be lighthouse guests should bear in mind that the walk is 19 km (12 mi), one-way, from Telegraph Saddle car park, or 23 km (14 mi) from Tidal River. There are more than 30 self-guided walks that take you from an hour to a day to complete.
Record torrential rain in early 2011 severely damaged roads and infrasturcture across Wilsons Promontory and its most popular southern half was closed. Restoration work is underway and it is hoped the park will fully open again for the 2011/12 summer season.
To get to Wilsons Promontory National Park, take the Princes Highway to Dandenong, then the South Gippsland Highway to Meeniyan or Foster. Tidal River is another 70 km (43 mi). There's no public transportation to the park.
- Phone: 03/5687-1220; 13-1963
- Website: www.parkweb.vic.gov.au and www.promcountrytourism.com.au
- Location: Phillip Island
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations