Hiking in The Dandenong Ranges
Danenong Ranges National Park. Danenong Ranges National Park is made up of several reserves, including the Sherbrooke Forest, which contains Sherbrooke Falls. Trails include the Olinda Forest Trail (from Mt. Dandenong to Kallista), the Western Trail from the top of Mt. Dandenong to Ferntree Gully, the Sherbrooke Loop, and the Tourist Track from Sassafras to Emerald. Brochures and a trail map are available from the visitor information center at Upper Ferntree Gully and some cafés in the area. Trail maps can also be found on the park's website. www.parkweb.vic.gov.au.
Heidelberg School Artists' Trail. Heidelberg School Artists' Trail is a great way to stay fit and brush up on Australian art. The trail commemorates famous Melbourne artists of the late 19th century, including Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts, and Frederick McCubbin, who all painted around the Heidelberg area east of Melbourne. The Dandenongs section of this 40-km (25-mi) trail (which begins in Templestowe, Melbourne) displays 9 of the route's 57 intepretive signs explaining the artists' work. 13-1963 (Parks Victoria). www.artiststrail.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $2699 -- Australia & Asia: 2-Week Cruises w/Air, Save $1000 CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations