Yering Station Review
Yering Station shares grounds with the historic Chateau Yering boutique hotel. It's Victoria's first vineyard and it still has plenty of rustic charm. The 1859 redbrick building is home to the cellar door, a wine-and-produce store, and the casual upstairs Matt's Bar, where you can relax all day sipping wine and dining from a tasty menu beneath an arched timber ceiling. The property's architectural and gastronomical pièce de résistance is the winery building, which houses the Wine Bar Restaurant. It's a sweeping, hand-hewn stone building with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking spectacular valley scenery. Enjoy a wonderful seasonal menu overseen by chef Laura Web-James. Main-course dishes (A$32-A$38) could include eye fillet, braised beef cheek, and corned beef terrine with creamed spinach and red wine jus; you may want to finish the meal with a decadent goats cheesecake with cashew nut tuille and truffled honey. Those who would prefer just to wander and sip wines at the cellar door are free to take the self-guided winery tour through the sculpture gardens. A farmers' market, where local growers sell their region's produce of olives, eggs, honey, cheese, coffee, flowers, and jams, takes place on the third Sunday of the month.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations