Surfing in Kadavu Group
King Kongs. Off the southwestern tip of Kadavu are two of Fiji's better breaks, the King Kongs: King Kong Left and King Kong Right. King Kong Left is accessible to moderately skilled surfers. Long rides on generally 3- to 5-foot waves take off in deep water, keeping surfers safe from coral. King Kong Right is a fast tube for advanced surfers. There are also several beginner breaks nearby.
Nagigia Island Resort. If you're visiting Kadavu purely to surf, Nagigia Island Resort bills itself as a surf camp and is right next to the King Kongs. www.fijisurf.com.
Matava runs trips to two left-hand reef breaks at Soso and Vesi Passages, and one left- and-right-hand reef break at Naigoro Passage, all roughly 10- to 20-minutes from the resort. The waves can be up to 12-feet and require intermediate-to-advanced skills. There are also a few breaks outside the reef. The waves here are best December through March.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand