Sights & Attractions in Kadavu Group
Kadavu Group Sights
Kadavu's Vunisea airstrip is toward the middle of the island, at its narrowest point. From there, it's a short walk to a harbor that's dwarfed by the ferry from Suva when it makes its call each week. The only things on Kadavu worth exploring on your own are the delicious and inexpensive treats sold by the lady at the airstrip's snack counter. A hospital, post office, and police post are also nearby, but after your midday arrival, you'll probably be as eager as your hosts to get to your accommodation. The boat ride can take between 15 minutes and 3 hours depending on which resort you're destined for and the weather conditions. The cost of that ride along the magnificent coastline can be up to $50 each way; some build it into the nightly rate and others waive the fee over a longer stay (check with you resort).
Villages on Kadavu are extremely welcoming to visitors, perhaps even more so than elsewhere in the country owing to their isolation. The opportunity to visit one and take a glimpse into the communal lifestyle that inspires the Fijians' friendly and hospitable ways should not be missed. An excellent time to visit is on Sunday morning, when you can attend a church service. Believers and nonbelievers alike invariably marvel at the locals' beautiful a cappella style of singing. Modest dress is required when visiting a village at any time. Cover the shoulders and waist and, out of respect, do not wear sunglasses or anything on top of your head.
Browse Kadavu Group Sights
Browse Kadavu Group Sights By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand