In keeping with the group's sense of adventure are the Yasawas' dive sites, characterized by swim-throughs and canyons and a population of sharks and rays. Sites include a steam ship wreck from the early 1900s with resident eels, a winding canyon at "Whiskeys Reef," and "Turtle Rock," home to stingrays, sharks, and one of the best places in the country to spot turtles. Unusual for the "soft coral capital of the world," as Fiji is known, are a couple of sites dominated by intricate hard coral features, which make for exciting navigating. Nearly all Yasawa Islands resorts have in-house operations or nearby companies they work with.
West Side Water Sports. Offering free transfers to and from Turtle Island as well as many of the Yasawas' budget resorts, West Side Water Sports visits 20 sites within a 10-mi radius of Nanua Lailai using two custom-built, 30-foot and 37-foot boats. A one-tank dive costs US$66, a two-tank dive US$97, and a PADI Open Water Course US$360. www.yasawa-dive.com.
Reef Safari. A one-tank dive costs US$62, a two-tank dive costs US$115, and night dives cost US$70. You can take an open-water course including six dives for US$338. www.reefsafari.com.fj.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand