Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced. For the most part, they're a safe means of transportation, though some of the vehicles are a bit past their prime, and some of the drivers more than enthusiastic. You'll find taxis on Viti Levu, Vanua Leu, Ovalau, and Taveuni by bus station depots or major intersections. Taxis are reasonably priced—$2.50 will take you almost anywhere you need to go. Drivers are usually Indo-Fijian, friendly, and English-speaking. They're also keen to cut deals: you can save money on other trips if you allow them to pick up extra passengers and you can negotiate a daily rate (think personal chauffer service).
Make certain you negotiate a price before starting out, or make certain the meter is on—many drivers won't use it if they don't have to. Also, if you're traveling to a remote area, ask whether it's a return taxi so you aren't stranded.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand