- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Friendly people, scattered attractions, and resorts keep life in and around Savusavu chugging along at a "Fiji Time" pace. Many visitors are content to pull up a chair on a restaurant deck, order the fish special, and admire the bay views. If you're in town on a Saturday, be sure to drop by the municipal market. If you're here on a Sunday, consider battling the yachties for a brunch-time table at Surf 'n' Turf.
If You Have 3 Days
This is not enough time to fully appreciate one of the better resorts, but it's plenty of time in which to see the area's top sights and get a sense of the local character. On Day 1 head out to Waisali Rainforest Reserve early for a serene walk through orchids and 100-year-old Yaka and Yasi softwoods. Have an alfresco lunch back in town at one of the waterfront restaurants. Head to the Pearl Farm by 1:30 for a tour; take a snorkel if you care for a dip with the jewels-to-be. On Day 2 go scuba diving or negotiate with a taxi for a tour up the Hibiscus Highway. In the afternoon take a public bus out to Nukubalavu Village, bringing along a sevusevu (gift) of kava from the local market in order to impress the chief. Bring a snorkel for possible use after being rewarded with a tour of the village. At night drop by the Savusavu Yacht Club for a nightcap. On Day 3 fish, play golf, dive, or just relax. Make a dinner reservation at Jean-Michel Cousteau if you can foot the bill.
If You Have 5 or 7 Days
Let the resort you choose guide your experience. Each of the better resorts offers excellent tours and activities incorporating the attractions above and showcasing the best of the Savusavu experience. Make an excursion into town at least once for a mid-afternoon beer at the Savusavu Yacht club or a perusal of the Saturday market.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand