- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From the cascading waterfalls of its rain forest to the vibrancy of its capital, Viti Levu is a place of motion, a place to explore. The mainland's infrastructure makes some of its breathtaking peaks and stunning valleys accessible while its magnificent lagoon is at your beck and call. This island does not lend itself to inactivity although its amenity-laden hotels and boutique hideaways encourage that, too.
If You Have 3 Days
Head straight for Pacific Harbour. Try to arrange a village visit in advance through your hotel for that morning or afternoon. If that's not possible, take in a show at the Arts Village, peruse the shops, and have lunch. Check into your accommodation and book tomorrow's white-water rafting trip, shark-diving excursion, or waterfall tour. Spend the rest of the day by the pool or on the beach before having dinner at the hotel restaurant. The next day, rise early for your excursion or day-trip. On Day 3, head to Suva early, check in, and visit the Fiji Museum or Colo-I-Suva Forest Park. Afterwards, savor lunch at Old Mill Cottage. In the afternoon, shop at the Curio & Handicraft Market and check out the scene at the Suva Municipal Market along Stinson Parade. Have dinner at one of the city's top restaurants, with the possibility of a nightcap at Traps Bar.
If You Have 5 Days
Spend Day 1 unwinding at a resort on the Coral Coast. On Day 2, visit the Sigatoka Sand Dunes and/or Kula Eco Park. Rearrange the above three-day itinerary so that your Pacific Harbour excursion picks you up on Day 3 from the Coral Coast and drops you at your Pacific Harbour hotel afterwards. On the fourth day, visit the Arts Village and relax as above before taking in Suva on Day 5.
If You Have 7 Days
Tack two more days onto your stay in either the Coral Coast or Pacific Harbour. Consider a day cruise out to Robinson Crusoe Island and a second day-trip into the magnificent interior. Conversely, this amount of time is ideal for a vacation-long escape, including snorkeling, diving, and a village visit, at an island resort off Suva or in Beqa Lagoon, off Pacific Harbour.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand