- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Bora Bora is a mountainous island surrounded by a huge lagoon, which at 80 square km (31 square mi) is three times the size of the island. About 30 islets, called motu, form a ring around the main island. Vaitape, the principal town, is on the western side of the main island, as is the interisland ferry port. The airport is 3 mi north on Motu Mute. The Teavanui Pass, on the western side, is the only navigable passage into the lagoon. Many of the 25 resorts and smaller hotels are grouped around the southern tip near Matira Point. The top end resorts are located on the motu to the east.
Maupiti also consists of a main island, surrounded by a large lagoon and several long motu. It's 40 km (25 mi) west of Bora Bora but its slow pace and lack of sophistication put it in another world. The town of Vai'ea and the port are in the south; the airport is on a motu to the northeast. There are just 14 small hotels and pensions, most of which are located on the motu near the best beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends