Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The quickest way to get to Bora Bora is by plane. Air Tahiti flies several times a day to Bora Bora from Tahiti, with up to 11 flights a day in the high season (June to October). There are also charter and helicopter flights. There are a minimum of three flights a day from Moorea to Bora Bora. Air Tahiti passes for the Society Archipelago are a good option if you're visiting a few islands. See
Two passenger cargo ships travel from Pape'ete to Bora Bora on journeys from 14 to 19 hours. The 90-passenger Vaeanu and the 12-passenger Hawaiki Nui make the slow journey from Pape'ete about three times a week calling at other Society Islands en route. They offer a few cabins, but aren't suitable for tourists, unless "roughing" it's high on the agenda.
(the local form of bus) circles the island and can be hailed almost anywhere on the coastal road; it also meets the interisland ferries. There are rental cars, scooters, bugsters (open vehicles similar to dune buggies), and bicycles to rent. It takes about four hours to cycle around the island.
There are four rental car companies: Bora Bora Tours, Europcar, Avis, and Fare Piti Rent-a-Car. Bora Bora Tours and Fare Piti Rent-a-Car also rent scooters. Europcar also has desks at several resorts on the island including Hotel InterContinental Le Moana and Club Med. The majority of resorts and a few pensions such as the Pension Anau-Chez Teipo and Village Temanuata provide bicycles either for free or to rent.
There are several taxi companies on the island that usually operate as a one-man-one-car show. They are quite expensive. If you want to head to the water, water taxis, also expensive (around 8,500 CFP for two people), will pick you up from anywhere in Bora Bora and zip you across the lagoon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends