Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Huahine lies 170 km (112 mi) northwest of Tahiti. Air Tahiti operates three to six flights a day from Pape'ete, depending on the season, with flight time of 30 minutes. There's also one flight a day between Moorea and Huahine, and twice daily flights between Bora Bora and Huahine on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays and daily on the other days. A daily flight (except on Sunday) operates between Raiatea and Huahine. Passengers arriving by plane will be picked up by one of the two island transport companies and taken to hotels in a general drop off. You can also charter a flight with Air Archipels, which operates from Tahiti's Faa'a International Airport.
You can see most of the island in about five hours, so rent a car from one of the three agencies in Fare—Avis, Europcar and Huahine Locations (a Hertz agent)—at your leisure; Fare Maeva pension also rents out cars. You'll probably get a Renault or Fiat and most have manual transmissions. There are no traffic lights on the island and no streetlights illuminating the winding roads, once you're outside Fare. Driving, however, is easy as traffic is minimal. At least two villa rental companies provide a free car (and boat) with each villa.
There are no public buses on the islands, though you will see the colorful L'Truck buses about. Taxis are run by Pension Enite, a backpackers' lodge right at Fare wharf.
The Huahine Visitors Bureau is across the road from the quay at Fare. The helpful staff will book accommodation and tours; there are brochures and maps available.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends