- Travel Tips
- French Phrases
Rent a car or scooter: this is the best way to travel the 61-km (37-mi) road around the island. Taxis are notoriously expensive and L'Truck is not always available.
Some brochures and flyers (and even one map) refer to the Hauru Point area in the northwest as Haapiti, which is actually a village about 16 km (10 km) farther along the counterclockwise route. It can be confusing, so check with your hotel desk as to the exact location of a restaurant or activity site.
You'll also see the occasional reference to the location of the former Club Med Resort, which closed down about seven years ago. For the record, it was near the existing Hotel Hibiscus.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends