Sports & Activities
Local operators offer guided tours to traditional archeological sites, either on foot, horseback, or 4WD vehicle. Helicopter rides over the island's lush and rugged interior are also fairly popular, giving visitors a bird's-eye view of stunning valleys and waterfalls. Mountain bikes can be rented, although the trails are rugged. The sea is dangerous around Hiva Oa, but the best beach for swimming is near the town of Taaoa—it has black sand. Nahoe and Hanamenu are pretty bays worth a quiet visit. Several outfitters offer deep-sea fishing trips from the harbor at Atuona.
Moena O Te Manu Excursions. If you're a hiker, Moena O Te Manu Excursions offers half- or full-day treks to see petroglyphs, waterfalls, valleys, and the Temetiu Peak, as well as 4WD excursions. 92-74-44.
Entreprise Deligny. Entreprise Deligny offers 4WD excursions throughout Hiva Oa. 92-71-59.
Hamau Ranch. You can see the island from atop a horse from Hamau Ranch. They offer horseback riding with a professional guide for half- or full-day excursions. 92-70-57.
Subatuona. Divers should head to Subatuona at the Temetiu Village pension. There Eric Le Lyonnais will put excursions together for you. Dives are from 7,000 CFP per person. 92-70-88. email@example.com. www.subatuona.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends