Getting Here and Around
There's a daily round-trip flight between Pape'ete and Atuona that takes approximately 3½ hours. There's also a daily flight from Atuona to Nuku Hiva (about 35 minutes) and there are four weekly flights to Ua Huka, taking around an hour each, so air traffic between the islands is reasonable. Between-island flights sometimes involve a short stopover at another island to pick up or put down passengers. It's all pretty relaxed. There are also boats between the islands but these are normally chartered by negotiation with local owners. The islands don't have public transport but there are always bicycles for hire and horses. Some type of taxi service and vehicle rentals either with or without a driver are always an option.
Atuona Rent-a-Car (92-79-07 or 72-17-17.)
Hiva Oa Tourism Committee (Tahu'Uku Wharf, Atuona, Atuona, Hiva Oa. 92-78-93. www.marquises-hivaoa.org.pf.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends