Located just north of Raiatea, and only a few minutes by shuttle boat, the fragrant scent of vanilla envelops Tahaa, giving it its nickname,"the vanilla island." The island produces more than 80% of French Polynesia's vanilla, and visiting a vanilla plantation here will be a blissful experience as the plantations are located in luxuriant valleys among pineapples and coconuts.
The island, which is less than a quarter of the size of Raiatea, hosts a population of less than 5,000. Its quiet nature has allowed it to retain the charms of old-time Polynesia. There are four black pearl farms on Tahaa and all are open for tours by the public. Though the island does not have beaches, it does have a number of motu, which dot its outer reef. Mount Ohiri (1,811 feet) towers over this tortuous coastline and wild interior.
Tahaa at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends