Getting Here and Around
Flying time from Tahiti to Tubuai nonstop is about three hours; most flights stop at one of the other islands extending the flight by another hour.
Getting around the island is easy as one road encircles the island and another cuts across the middle. Roads are not usually paved but mainly packed sand or gravel. There is no public transport, but cars and bicycles can be rented and family pensions usually organize picnics and rent out boats and other beach-type equipment. Hitching a lift is pretty common, too.
Mauterai Car Rental - Pension Toena. This rental agency is located at Pension Toena near the town of Taahuaia. Taahueia, Taahueia, Tubuai. 95-04-12. www.toena.fr.cr.
Harii Taata Association (B.P. 27, Mataura, Tubuai, 98754. 95-07-12. email@example.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends