New Caledonia Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Take a Dip in the World's Largest Lagoon. New Caledonia is home to the world's largest lagoon; it's approximately 9,267 square miles and is surrounded by the world's second longest coral reef.
Poke Around a Prison. The immaculate Isle of Pines was once a penal colony and there remains a crumbling, late-19th-century stone prison.
Enjoy Cross-Cultural Hospitality. They speak French, yes, and you'll be served baguette and croissants, but there's no snoot here; the New Caledonians are warm and friendly.
Eat Bougna. This traditional dish is a mix of meat with yams or sweet potato; it's wrapped in a banana leaf and cooked under hot rocks.
Discover Strange Flora and Fauna. Nearly eighty percent of the island's vegetation is endemic, alongside nearly 3,500 native animal, bird, and bug species.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $2699 -- Australia & Asia: 2-Week Cruises w/Air, Save $1000 CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand