- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Auckland
Boating and Sailing: Aucklanders are crazy about boating. Get on the water surrounding the "City of Sails" on a commuter ferry, a sailboat, or a racing yacht.
Cuisine and Café Culture: Auckland has some of the country's finest restaurants, as well as little bistro bars, noodle houses, and vibrant neighborhood eateries and cafés.
Year-Round Golf: Frank Nobilo's hometown has more than 20 golf courses, from informal to challenging championship level. Most have stunning scenery, and the Muriwai Golf Club is close to a great surf beach.
Gorgeous Beaches: The West Coast's black-sand beaches attract surfers from around the world; the safest swimming is on the East Coast. Takapuna Beach and Mission Bay are good places to swim. Remember to swim between the flags and slap on the sunscreen.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip — $3,099 Qantas Vacations
- $3099 & up -- Australia, New Zealand & Cook Islands Getaway — $3,099 Travelscene