- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
For any confident driver the road through Arthur's Pass is a glorious drive—sealed all the way, but with a few steep, gnarly sections in the middle. The train and bus tours are also good options, but you lose the flexibility to stop and do a walk or follow a waterfall track, or to just admire the breathtaking scenery if you're stuck on a tour.
To drive there from Christchurch head out on the West Coast Road—it is particularly well signposted from town. The turnoff is near the airport. There is only one road over the Alps within 100 km (62 mi) either way, so you can't go wrong. The road heads out through the small town of Springfield then heads up towards Porter's Pass and Cass before hitting the real stuff at Arthur's Pass.
Information on the park is available on the Department of Conservation's Web site and at the DOC-run Arthur's Pass Visitor Center. The Arthur's Pass Mountaineering site is another good source for information on local mountaineering conditions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel