- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canterbury fans are as rugby-mad as the rest of the country. In fact the first match ever played in New Zealand took place in 1862 in Cranmer Square, in central Christchurch. Every Saturday in winter you can catch little All-Blacks-in-the-making playing games in Hagley Park and suburban parks.
AMI Stadium. Once it reopens (it's expected to reopen in stages through 2012), you can cheer the Crusaders, the Canterbury rugby team, on their home turf at AMI Stadium, which began life in 1880 as Lancaster Park. In summer it's the city's premier cricket ground. The season runs from February through September. The stadium also hosts All Blacks games and international cricket matches. 30 Stevens St., Phillipstown, 8011. 03/379-1765. www.amistadium.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel