- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge
At a Glance
- on alternate days, you can muster sheep with border collies and help blade-shear sheep the old-fashioned way
- the owners are committed to preserving the alpine environment
- quite remote if you prefer shopping
- a one-night stop is not enough to experience the activities and environment here
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge Review
Surrounded by spectacular peaks, beech forests, and serene lakes, this sophisticated back-to-nature lodge shares 6,000 acres with its own working 5,000-sheep farm and nature reserve in a valley called Te Ko Awa a Aniwaniwa (Valley of the Mother of Rainbows) by its first Maori visitors. From a hillside perch it overlooks the Waimakariri River, which has carved a gaping swath through the pass. Rooms have balcony views of this incredible area. By taking advantage of the walks and guided, nature day trips with resident biologists (several included in the rate), you'll get to share the owners' passion for preserving this environment. Full-day guided trips in the region can take you to limestone caves, a tranquil lake, a glacier basin, or to spots where you can glimpse rare alpine plants and cheeky kea (the native mountain parrot). There is a sister lodge at Lake Moeraki on the West Coast.
- Address: 130 km (81 mi) west of Christchurch on State Hwy. 73, Arthur's Pass, 7580 | Map It
- Phone: 03/318-9246
- Website: www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
- Location: Arthur's Pass National Park
- 20 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June and July.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
Greetings... we just booked flights; 4 weeks in South Island, in and out of Christchurch in February/March 2014. First trip. We could use lots of advice! We are active 60ish who love to hike, bike, kayak. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more