Cathedral Cove Dive and Snorkel Hahei. Cathedral Cove Dive and Snorkel Hahei gives beginner, advanced, and dive-master courses, as well as daily dive trips in both the Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve and around the outer islands and pinnacles. 48 Hahei Beach Road, Hahei, 3591. 07/866-3955. www.hahei.co.nz/diving.
Cathedral Cove Sea Kayaking. A great way to see this spectacular volcanic coastline is on a sea-kayaking tour with Cathedral Cove Sea Kayaking; prices start at $95 for a half-day trip, and they're happy to work with beginners. You paddle off the beach at Hahei and along the coast into sea caves. You'll visit secluded beaches as well. They take groups of eight in double kayaks and pride themselves on taking visitors to places they are unlikely to see on foot. 88 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591. 07/866-3877 or 0800/529258. www.seakayaktours.co.nz.
Hahei Explorer. Hahei Explorer, a sturdy, eight-seater rigid inflatable boat, explores this volcanic coastline's sea caves, blowhole, beaches, headlands, and spectacular Cathedral Cove. Trips depart Hahei Beach at 10 am and 2 pm daily (ferry landing pick-up available if required). Arrive 15 minutes before departure. 07/866-3910. www.haheiexplorer.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand