At a Glance
- range of accommodations
- lovely garden
- basic furnishings
The Church Review
Originally a 1916 Methodist church from another town, dismantled, shifted and rebuilt, the Church is worth a visit even if you're not staying the night. The church itself, on the main road heading into Hahei, is now a gracious restaurant, a little more upmarket than the cafes closer to the beach. Yet it maintains a relaxed country vibe. Travelers and locals mull over choices such as Black Angus Eye fillet or the macadamia (locally grown) dukkha-crusted rack of lamb with roast vegetables with a red currant jus. The accommodation is just behind the church. The wooden studios and cottages are connected by winding garden paths, each decorated with stained glass and small arched windows, some with wood fires and all built with recycled timber in keeping with the style of the church. The rooms are small but bright, and each has a back porch overlooking the gardens. A communal lounge has Sky television, Internet and indoor/outdoor BBQ area.There's also a three bedroom house, in a private setting slightly apart from the other units.
- Address: 87 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591 | Map It
- Phone: 07/866-3533
- Hours: Restaurant closed June--Sep. and Sun.& and Mon. Easter to June
- Website: www.thechurchhahei.co.nz
- Location: Around Hahei
- 11 wooden cottages, 1 3 bedroom house.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
Whether as an ending to a South American tour or as a trip of solely outdoor adventures, Patagonia calls... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more