Tairua is one of the larger communities along the coast, and one of the prettiest, nestled beside an estuary, harbor, and hills, with an ocean beach close by. Because State Highway 25 is the town's main road, it's also convenient for a bite en route to other seaside spots around Whitianga and Hahei. In Tairua, the twin volcanic peaks of Paku rise up beside the harbor. The five-minute ferry ride from Tairua across the harbor to the holiday homes of Pauanui takes you to the immediate area's best beach. The ferry runs twice hourly December through Easter, school holidays, and long weekends (hourly during the summer holiday peak): NZ$5 round-trip. In October, British cars and bikes are a feature during the "Brits at the Beach" festival. For year-round activities and maps check out the Pauanui and Tairua information centers.
Tairua at a Glance
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand