Aerius Tuhua. Teaming up with local Maori as their guides, Aerius Helicopters run trips to the volcanic island Tuhua (Mayor Island). Tuhua is particularly significant to Maori in part because of the obsidian—a volcanic glass prized for its strength and sharpness—found in great streaks throughout the island. The helicopter ride to the island is an event in itself, providing aerial views of the Tuhua's unusual landscape and colored lakes. (Flight cost $550 per person). Another stunning flight offered is to and over the very active volcanic White Island ($625), while several shorter scenic tours over the hills, coastline, and lakes of the Bay of Plenty and Rotorua regions are on offer. Jean Batten Dr., Tauranga Airport, Tauranga, Tauranga, 3116. 0800/864-354. www.aerius.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand