Waimarino Glowworm Kayaking. After you've had your fill of local wines, cheeses, and fresh fruit on the banks of Lake McLaren at dusk, plus a careful safety talk, the guides of Waimarino Glowworm Kayaking will help you into your kayak and take you on a gentle, two-hour, nighttime trip across the lake and into a narrow canyon, where the walls are lined with thousands of glowworms. Floating in the dark and the silence (everyone has to be quiet or the glowworms "turn off") is an amazing sensation. You don't need kayaking expertise; you will be well cared for. The whole tour takes about three and a half hours. Transport to the lake is included. 36 Taniwha Pl., Wairoa River, Bethlehem, Tauranga, Tauranga, 3172. 07/576-4233. www.waimarino.com. $120.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand