There are some tiny airstrips along the Coromandel Peninsula and a commercial airport at Tauranga. A number of scenic-flight operators offer trips over the region.
Coromandel Helicopters. Coromandel Helicopters provides flights from both Auckland Airport and downtown Auckland to the Coromandel or Tauranga, including Whitianga, Tairua, Coromandel townships and anywhere that they're cleared for landing. The price may be exorbitant (starting at $1,450), but the flight is quick (about 30 minutes) and the views are outstanding. 0800/864-354. www.aerius.co.nz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand