InterCity Coachlines, Go Kiwi Shuttles, and nakedbus link Whitianga and Thames with Auckland daily; the trip is just over two hours from Auckland to Thames and just over three hours to Whitianga. Bus travel within the region is reliable, although less frequent in winter. InterCity, Go Kiwi, and nakedbus make daily trips between Coromandel, Thames, Whitianga, and other stops throughout the peninsula.
InterCity and Go Kiwi have special Coromandel hop-on hop-off passes; the Go Kiwi pass is good for a month, and the InterCity pass is valid for three. nakedbus is an inexpensive "no-frills" option.
Go Kiwi Shuttles (07/866-0336. www.go-kiwi.co.nz.)
InterCity Coachlines (07/868-7251 or 0800/222-146. www.intercitycoach.co.nz.)
nakedbus (0900/62533. www.nakedbus.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand