East Coast and the Volcanic Zone Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the East Coast and the Volcanic Zone
Hiking and Walking: The eastern coast of the North Island has several excellent bushwalking trails, including the Tongariro Crossing, which brings you through the alpine areas in Tongariro National Park. Some of the country's most rugged bush is in Te Urewera National Park.
Maori Ceremonial Feast: Rotorua may be the best place in New Zealand to try the Maori feast known as a hangi.
Soaking: In Rotorua and Taupo, thermal springs are on tap. You can soak in your own thermal bath in even the cheapest hotels in Rotorua or take advantage of public facilities such as Polynesian Spa.
World-Class Fishing: Central North Island is trout country. You can get out on any of the designated lakes and waterways if you have your own gear and a fishing license—but a local guide can take you to the right spots.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand