North Island's West Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to North Island's West Coast
Caving: Waitomo's underground landscape encompasses miles of passageways, streams, limestone formations, fossils, and glowworms. Explore with underground walks, boat rides, or "black-water" rafting and rappelling tours.
Hiking and Walking: Explore the wetlands, alpine fields, and dense lowland rain forest of Egmont National Park. Multiday and short walks provide impressive views.
Kayaking and Canoeing: Whanganui River is the longest navigable waterway in the country; it's also an ideal beginner's river. Pass amazing scenery and historic Maori settlements on a multiday journey by kayak or canoe.
Surfing: The black-sand surfing beaches along the North Island West Coast rival the world's best. Near Raglan find Whale Bay and Manu Bay, famous for its consistent, left-hand break. In Taranaki, "Surf Highway 45" accesses premier surfing coastline.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand