- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge
At a Glance
- birdsong at dawn
- river access only
Bridge to Nowhere Lodge Review
In a private enclave deep in Whanganui National Park, 21 km (31 mi) upriver from Pipiriki, this lodge can only be reached by jet-boat (arranged by the lodge); the payoff for the remote location is magnificent forest vistas, birdsong at dawn, and the chance to bathe under the stars in the outdoor tub. Accommodations range from doubles in the amazingly comfortable lodge, with bush and river views to self-catering family and bunk rooms, to a six-berth dorm-style cabin, also self-catering. There's also a camping area (bring your own tent). In the lodge rooms, you can choose between self-catering, or bed, breakfast, and dinner; packages are available that include a trip farther upriver to the Bridge to Nowhere. Lodge owner Jo also runs jet-boat tours to the Bridge to Nowhere, canoe trips, canoe rental, and jet-boat access to hiking and mountain biking trips in the National Park. The total package, which includes jet boat transport to and from the lodge, dinner, bed (double room), breakfast, and a Bridge to Nowhere excursion, costs NZ$245 per person per night. If you have your own transport (as in jet-boat or kayak), dinner, bed, and breakfast is NZ$135 per person per night.
- Address: Whanganui River, Box 4203, Wanganui, 4576
- Phone: 06/385-4622; 0800/480-308
- Website: www.bridgetonowhere.co.nz
- Location: The Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park
- 6 rooms (4 double, 1 twin, 1 single), 2 bunkrooms (sleep 5 and 6).
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
Greetings... we just booked flights; 4 weeks in South Island, in and out of Christchurch in February/March 2014. First trip. We could use lots of advice! We are active 60ish who love to hike, bike, kayak. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more