- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The town of Stratford sits under the eastern side of Mt. Taranaki and is a service town for surrounding farms. Its streets are named after characters from Shakespeare's works, and it has the first glockenspiel in New Zealand, which chimes four times a day. Because the town is at the junction of highways 3 and 43, you'll likely pass through at some stage if you're exploring Taranaki. Some of the country's most interesting private gardens, including Te Popo and Hollard, are found in the rich volcanic soil here.
Stratford at a Glance
Elsewhere in North Island's West Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand