Northland and the Bay of Islands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Experiences in Northland
The remnant of the once-giant Kauri Forest that covered much of Northland includes New Zealand's biggest kauri, called Tane Mahuta. Get there early to avoid crowds and ponder what the region was like before large-scale forestry took place.
We also recommend the coastal drive to Russell. The roads are narrow and windy, but your effort will pay off when you enjoy a picnic on a solitary beach.
If you have ventured to Kaitaia—the last big and slightly scruffy town before you hit the road to Cape Reinga—take an extra hour or so and go south of 90 Mile Beach to Ahipara and Shipwrecks Bay for lovely beach views. In summer the swimming here is magnificent and surfers rejoice at the waves all year round.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand