- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Marsden Estate Winery and Restaurant
Marsden Estate Winery and Restaurant Review
Named after the missionary Samuel Marsden, who planted New Zealand's first grapevines in Kerikeri in 1819, this winery is a popular lunch spot and for good reason. On a fine day ask for a table on the terrace. The seasonal menu is eclectic; try the black pudding (blood sausage) with blue cheese, pear, and blueberry sauce, cherry tomatoes in a pomegranate molasses jus, or sample the oxtail stew on mashed potatoes. Of the winery's small but notable output, the full-bodied Black Rocks Chardonnay has won national and international awards and the 2007 Pinot Gris is worth a try. The winery is open for tastings.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more