- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Copthorne Hotel and Resort Hokianga
At a Glance
- low key
- on the beach
- great views
- not what you would call a luxury resort
- some patchy service reported
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Copthorne Hotel and Resort Hokianga Review
From the deck of this charming seaside hotel you look straight out to the mouth of Hokianga Harbour, where the view hasn't changed since, according to legend, the Polynesian navigator Kupe first arrived in New Zealand 1,000 years ago. The restaurant's ($$) specialty is crayfish; choose your live cray from the tank or, as some prefer, meet it for the first time on your plate. The kaimoana (seafood) tasting plate for two includes Pacific oysters, seared scallops and calamari, chili mussels, and creamed paua (abalone) served with a lime and horopito (a traditional Maori herb) aioli. The hotel has a pleasant aura and is the base for local company Footprints-Waipoua, which takes "Twilight Encounter" tours through the Waipoua Forest to visit New Zealand's largest kauri trees. Book well in advance for excellent room rates.
- Address: State Hwy. 12, Omapere, 0472 | Map It
- Phone: 09/405-8737
- Website: www.millenniumhotels.co.nz/copthornehokianga/index.html
- Location: Hokianga and the Kauri Coast
- 37 rooms, 9 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City. ... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more