- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Motueka is a 50-minute drive west of Nelson, on State Highway 60. You can also arrive from the south along the Motueka Valley Highway, which leaves State Highway 6 at Kohatu, 50 minutes north of Murchison. From Motueka it's a one-hour drive over the Takaka Hill to Golden Bay.
Abel Tasman Coachlines and Atomic Shuttles run the smaller routes from Nelson to Motueka, Takaka, and the Abel Tasman and Kahurangi national parks. These cut their service frequency in winter, or stop altogether.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand