Wellington and the Wairarapa Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Wellington and the Wairarapa
Arts and Culture: The national symphony, ballet, and opera are headquartered here. And the biennial New Zealand International Arts Festival celebrates an extensive program of drama, music, dance, and other arts events.
A Wealth of Wineries: Spend a day or two (or three) wine tasting your way through the Wairarapa, home to more than 30 vineyards.
Eclectic Cuisine: The great variety of Wellington's restaurants allows you to sample foods from dozens of cuisines, while also serving plenty of down-to-earth Kiwi fare.
The Waterfront: Wandering along the Wellington waterfront is one of the most pleasurable ways to spend a day. You can visit (for free!) Te Papa Tongarewa, one of the country's best museums, and the Museum of City and Sea. Or you can walk to Oriental Bay, where you can join the local residents jogging, swimming, riding a bike, or people-watching.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations
- $3099 & up -- Australia, New Zealand & Cook Islands Getaway — $3,099 Travelscene