Wellington and the Wairarapa Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Matiu and Somes Island
A wonderful place to spend a day walking and exploring, the Matiu Island Scientific and Historic Reserve lies in Wellington Harbour approximately 8 km (5 mi) from the city. The island has lots of walking tracks, great beaches for swimming, good picnic spots, and opportunities to see whales, dolphins, penguins, and other birds (sharp eyes may also pick out skinks, tuatara and other small lizards, and giant weta insects on the paths). Because the boats carry a limited number of passengers to the island at a time, it's never crowded.
Although the 62-acre island was opened as a DOC reserve in 1995, it has an interesting history. From the early 1880s until around 1980 it was used as a quarantine station by early European settlers for both humans and animals—including dogs, cattle, sheep, red deer, llamas, and other livestock—on their way into the country. During the world wars, it was also used as a place of internment for aliens considered a security threat.
In 1981 Matiu became a project of the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society. Volunteers began planting trees that year to replace vegetation that had previously been cleared to allow grazing for quarantined animals. Many other native plants that flourished before the arrival of Europeans have also been replanted, and native insects such as wetas reintroduced. The island is now a breeding ground for a variety of seabirds.
The island is strictly a place to enjoy natural beauty for a few hours at a time. The few man-made structures on Matiu today include the old quarantine station, and gun emplacements from World War II—which were never used, and which remain on the southernmost summit of the island. An automated lighthouse built in 1900 to replace the original structure from 1866 also still sends out its southward beacon to ships traveling from Wellington Harbour.
The island can be reached by the Dominion Post East-West ferry service; there are nine round-trip runs made from Wellington Harbour per day.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations
- $3099 & up -- Australia, New Zealand & Cook Islands Getaway — $3,099 Travelscene