- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Banks and Exchange Services
Legal tender is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, but U.S. dollars are widely accepted. ATMs dispense both U.S. and EC dollars. All prices quoted in this chapter are in U.S. dollars.
110 volts, just as in the United States; no adapter required for American electronics.
As in the United States, dial 911 in any emergency.
Airmail postcards and letters cost EC$1.50 (for the first ½ ounce) to the United States. The only post office is in The Valley; it's open weekdays 8 to 3:30. There's a FedEx office near the airport. It's open weekdays 8 to 5 and Saturday 9 to 1.
All visitors must carry a valid passport and have a return or ongoing ticket.
Most hotels will arrange with a local provider for a cell phone to use during your stay (or you can rent one). A prepaid, local cell gives you the best rates. Some U.S. GSM phones will work in Anguilla, some not. To call Anguilla from the United States, dial 1 plus the area code 264, then the local seven-digit number. To call the United States and Canada, dial 1, the area code, and the seven-digit number.
Anguilla is a quiet, relatively safe island, but crime has been on the rise, and there's no sense in tempting fate by leaving your valuables unattended in your hotel room, on the beach, or in your car. Avoid remote beaches, and lock your car, hotel room, and villa. Most hotel rooms are equipped with a safe for stashing your valuables.
The departure tax is $20 for adults and $10 for children, payable in cash, at the airport at Blowing Point Ferry Terminal. If you are staying in Anguilla but day-tripping to St. Martin, be sure to mention it, and the rate will be only $5. A 10% accommodations tax is added to hotel bills along with a $1-per-night marketing tax, plus whatever service charge the hotel adds.
Despite any service charge, it's usually expected that you will tip more—$5 per day for housekeeping, $20 for a helpful concierge, and $10 per day to beach attendants. Many restaurants include a service charge of 10% to 15% on the bill; if there's no surcharge, tip about 15%. Taxi drivers should receive 10% of the fare.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $764 & up -- Turks & Caicos: Adult-Only Club Med, Save 40% Club Med Sandpiper Bay
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore