Day Sails in Aruba
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you plan to take a cruise around the island, keep in mind that the trade winds can make the waters choppy and that catamaran rides are much smoother than those on single-hull boats. Sucking on a peppermint or ginger candy may soothe your queasy stomach; avoid boating with an empty or overly full stomach. Moonlight cruises cost about $40 per person. There are also a variety of snorkeling, dinner and dancing, and sunset party cruises to choose from, priced from $30 to $60 per person. Many of the smaller operators work out of their homes; they often offer to pick you up (and drop you off) at your hotel or meet you at a particular hotel pier.
Octopus Sailing Charters. The drinks flow freely on Octopus's trimaran. It holds about 20 people for a three-hour afternoon sail, which costs $35. Pelican Pier, Palm Beach. 297/586-4281. www.octopusaruba.com..
Red Sail Sports. Choose between four catamarans, including the 70-foot Rumba. The popular sunset sail includes drinks and a lively atmosphere for $50 per person; the dinner cruise package includes a three-course meal and open bar for $101. Red Sail Sports also has locations at the Hyatt and Marriott hotels. J.E. Irausquin Blvd 348-A, Palm Beach. 297/586-1603; 305/454-2538 in U.S. www.redsailaruba.com.
Tranquilo Charters Aruba. Operated by Captain Hagedoorn, Tranquilo offers entertaining cruises, including a six-hour tour to the south side of the island for $75. Snorkeling equipment and free lessons are included in the package, and so is the very good "mom's Dutch pea soup" served with lunch (also included). Renaissance Marina, Oranjestad. 297/586-1418. www.tranquiloaruba.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $799 American Express Travel