Shopping in Aruba
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
"Duty-free" is a magical term in the Caribbean—but it's not always accurate. The duty-free shopping zone in Aruba closed several years ago, so the only true duty-free shopping is in the departure area of the airport. (Passengers bound for the United States should be sure to shop before proceeding through U.S. customs in Aruba.) Downtown stores often advertise "duty-free prices," with markdowns of up to 25%, but that doesn't mean comparison shopping should go out the window. Major credit cards are welcome virtually everywhere, U.S. dollars are accepted almost as readily as the local currency, and traveler's checks can be cashed with proof of identity.
Aruba's souvenir and crafts stores are full of Dutch porcelains and figurines, as befits the island's heritage. Dutch cheese is a good buy, as are hand-embroidered linens and any products made from the native aloe vera plant—sunburn cream, face masks, or skin refreshers. Local arts and crafts run toward wood carvings and earthenware emblazoned with "Aruba: One Happy Island" and the like. Since there's no sales tax, the price you see on the tag is usually what you pay. (Large stores in town and at hotels include the value-added tax of 3%, but tiny shops and studios may add it separately.) Don't try to bargain. Arubans consider it rude to haggle, despite what you may hear to the contrary.
Browse Aruba Shopping
Browse Aruba Shopping By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $799 American Express Travel