- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The northern part of Andros spreads from the settlements of Morgan's Bluff, Nicholl's Town, and Red Bays and ends at Stafford Creek. North Andros is not only geographically removed from Central Andros, but essentially different in makeup: it consists of long stretches of pine forests, limestone bluffs, and fields and gardens of ground crops. Seminole Indians, American slaves, and Mennonites settled this land along with the West Indian population. White-sand beaches, mostly deserted, line the island's eastern face, interrupted by creeks, inlets, and rock outcroppings. Logging supported North Andros in the '40s and '50s, and laid the foundation for its roads.
San Andros is home to North Andros's airport, but Nicholl's Town is the largest settlement here and in all of Andros. Once home to a vogue resort in the 1960s, today it is mostly residential, inhabited in part by snowbirds who own the adorable Bahamian-style, brightly painted cottages that were once part of Andros Beach Hotel. Visitors will find lots to explore in this area, from caves to funky beach bars. Offshore to the north, Joulters Cays are a popular bonefishing spot; low tide reveals a duneslike bottom.
North Andros at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer — $1,749 Royal Caribbean