- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Greater Grand Bahama
On either side of the Freeport-Lucaya development, the island reverts to natural pine forest, fishing settlements, and undiscovered beaches. Heading west from Freeport, travelers pass the harbor area, a cluster of shacks selling fresh conch and seafood at Fishing Hole, a series of small villages, and Deadman's Reef at Paradise Cove before reaching the historic fishing town of West End and its upscale resort at the island's very tip. East of Lucaya lies Garden of the Groves, Lucayan National Park, and long stretches of forest interrupted by the occasional small town.
Run Doggie Run
Island dogs, known as "potcakes"—a reference to the bottom of the rice pans they clean up—run wild, so be careful when driving. Efforts in recent years have raised awareness of the need for neutering and spaying.
Greater Grand Bahama at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $159 Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino